Pages

Monday, August 15, 2011

The weekend that wasn't

Since when were weekends harder than weekdays?  When I'm on Farm Animal Medicine and Surgery, apparently.  This is a rotation that is supposed to be fun, and a lot of it is.  The unfortunate part is that they severely understaff the hospital so the students have to do all treatments, around the clock.  This means our hours suck.  We have to be there from 7 AM to 8 PM minimum every day, to make sure that every treatment from 8 AM to 8 PM is covered (overnight students take over after 8).  And we have to go in at 7 AM every weekend morning, and likely 7 PM weekend nights.  And I also had the luck of staying all of Saturday night into Sunday morning....and then come in again Sunday evening at 7.  Might I mention that I like my sleep? 

So of course BJJ gets kicked to the wayside.  I was hoping that we finished with 8 AM treatments by 9 AM on Saturday morning, so I could easily make it to the 10 AM women's class.  Of course, we didn't finish until after 10, so I showed up more than half an hour late to class.  And then I was so pooped from the week I couldn't stay for regular class after that.  No time/energy for working out, eating decently, grocery shopping, showering...I want my life back. 

On the plus side, I got to castrate a bull calf and do a cosmetic dehorn.  It left my pants looking like I was a serial killer, but it was so much fun! 

No comments:

Post a Comment